Sunday 30 July 2017

Sophie's Summer Superhero Project - Part 1

Hi there I hope you are having a great summer with lots of creative fun!  I am having fun with my granddaughter Sophie and this weekend we have started on a major Powertex project.  Let me introduce you to Sophie aged 7 and a half!  [She told me the half is very important because that means she is nearer 8 than 7!]

Sophie has a wonderfully vivid imagination and loves crafting and creating with her mum, her sister and me.

When she is with me we do lots of Powertex.  So far she has made some fairy houses for the garden and also a bird house.  She loves watching films and reading comics with her dad and her brother and writes lots of stories about her own superheros.

Stage 1:

Recently I acquired an old tailors dummy from a car boot sale and that gave me the idea of a super summer project for Sophie.

Together we are going to create her very own full size superhero!

Sophie was very excited when I showed her the dummy and talked about my idea.  Within half an hour she had come up with her superhero...



Rosalina, also known as Ace the Teleporter!

Ace has lots of superpowers - 

  • Strength
  • Supersonic Swimmer
  • Hypnotic eyes (apparently we will make her head too)
  • Superb speed
  • and on her costume there will be buttons. One of the buttons will release a hidden superpower...she will become camouflaged!
  • On the base she will have fast release rocket boosters too!





I have promised that we will mix different colours of Powertex so that she has her own unique colours to match Ace's design.

So I think I have my work cut out to help her create her dream character!

We will be working in short sessions so it is fun, and Sophie has lots of creativity to look forward to.  Also for her mum and dad, the mess will all be here and not at their home!!!

I am going to blog the whole process so I hope you have fun joining us along the way. 


 Getting Started!

We popped on some small vinyl gloves and held them on with masking tape.  I made sure Sophie was well covered with a big apron.

We mixed up Ivory Powertex with a little red and some yellow to get the colour Sophie wanted for the base.  To that we added a small amount of Easy 3D Flex to make the mixture just a little thicker.  

As the dummy is made from some sort of foam we wanted to give it a really good base cover, and did 3 layers.  Over the upper body that we added some kitchen paper for additional strength.  Only the arm socket and neck will not be dressed but I felt this would give us a good base to start with.

This all took about an hour.  We left it at this stage to dry while we went off to search for fabrics and other interesting goodies to add next time.

So join us next time when we start to create the clothes and look for Ace - the Teleporter!

Bye for now
Fi and Sophie

8 comments:

  1. Awe amazing Fi! Wish my nieces were in this country. They would love to do something like this! ��xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophie said you can come and help us on another stage if you like xx❤

      Delete
  2. An exciting time ahead for you and Sophie. What a wonderful imagination she has and I love the description of the super powers! I would love a magic button too. Look forward to watching this magical character evolve Fiona x Birdy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Birdy. Her imagination is awesome and she has good concentration too. We can't wait to do the next stage. xx

      Delete
  3. What fun you are both having.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea!! And how much is the time spent with your grandaughter?! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful idea! I am sure the superpower doll is getting awesome! Can't wait to see the rest of this Journey.
    Hugs, Anita x

    ReplyDelete