Sunday 9 July 2017

Mermaid with a Message

Hi there hope you are having a great summer so far...I have been loving this gorgeous warmth!

My favourite place is the beach, I love beach combing and seeing what's been washed up that can be used in art like bits of wood and sea glass.  But more and more I feel sad that our oceans are being cluttered and devastated by plastic, discarded fishing nets and so much more, and it is damaging marine life.  So I created a Mermaid with a Message for a recent Mannequin's and Mermaids workshop.


I used a polystyrene torso and and wood/metal base from Powertex UK .  I then used some 2mm aluminium wire to create the tail shape and extended up her body.  I secured using masking tape and used cheap tin foil to create the tail shape and then wrapped with masking tape.  I used Powertex Lead  and Stone Art to cover the torso.  I used knitted scrim for the tail on the reverse as this gives the impression of scales.  

I added Powertex to some lace trim and placed around the top of the tail fabric and added small  3D balls to the body and tail for texture and to imply those little balls of plastic that are found in cheap cosmetic scrubs that find their way into the water course and out into out oceans.  I then painted the base with more Powertex and embellished with tissue paper and more 3D balls in varying sizes.  Finally I rubbed Powertex into some net fabric and draped over her, as if she were caught while swimming.  I then left her overnight to dry.

I then used Easy Varnish with Powercolor and Colortricx pigments to add colour, I didn't go too far with this as I wanted to help her to get her message across, plastic and waste are damaging our oceans!

Finally I used some rusty wire to make some barbed wire and added to her body. This will be available in my etsy shop once I've had time to create one!





Hope you like this project and want to have a go yourself.  Post some photos on Powertex Addicts United  if you do we love to see what you create.

Bye for now
Fi xx

10 comments:

  1. Such a strong message Fiona and also a powerful way of expressing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it . well done. Perhaps if we all recycled less of it would end up in the ocean or land fill. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We just need to keep recyoand where we can't we should dispose carefully. Manufacturing could help by not over packing, I mean do we really need a plastic tray, a plastic top and then plastic wrap around 4 apples? A paper bag would do just fine. Xx

      Delete
  3. Fantastic project on a very sad topic. Ax

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is stunning. I love beach combing too but wish people wouldn't use the sea as a bin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A stirring visual, of a matter that just breaks my heart. Beautifully created.

    ReplyDelete